Bed and Breakfast Industry Statistics
These Bed and Breakfast industry statistics are based on PAII (Professional Association of Innkeepers International), published online: www.paii.com/About-the-Industry
Performance (in medians)
- Occupancy Rate: 43.7%
- Average Daily Rate: $150
- Revenue per Available Room: $58
About The Inns
- Typical B&B has between 4 and 11 rooms, with 6 being the average
- 29% were in rural locations, 23% were urban, 5% suburban, and 43% were village
- 94% of rooms have private baths
- 36% have achieved an “historical designation” by a local, state or national historic preservation organization
- 5,700 square feet is the average size for a bed and breakfast
- 93% offer free high speed wireless internet
- Most inns provide the following in common areas: internet, magazines, hot/cold beverages, board games, fireplace, refrigerator, newspapers, telephone, cookies/cakes/candies/fruit, fresh flowers and televisions.
- Most inns provide the following in guest rooms: internet, television, luxury bed/linens, premium branded toiletries, robes, fireplaces, magazines and jetted tubs.
About Inn Owners
- Couples: 72%
- Individual Females: 18%
- Individual Males: 5%
- Non-Couple Partnerships: 5%
- Live Onsite: 79%
This data makes clear that innkeeping is most often a couple’s venture, and they live on site in primarily rural or village locations.